Friday, July 3, 2009

Post 7

WIKI-WIKI! I like this site.After I learned what a wiki was, I enjoyed looking at all the different ones. This first one I chose was http://gowest.wikispaces.com this was very well organized and good content. They used visual maps. I liked the way the contents flowed together. The only thing I would do to improve is to provide more details at the beginning.

The second one was http://kcountingbook.wetpaint.com this was very well orgainzed and visual learning was good. I liked using different objects for each number. Sometimes kids get bored looking at the same thing. If I could improve one thing, it would be to add a caption below each picture.

The last one I chose was http://wiki.woodward.edu/hannalee/doku.php?id=hannalee this was a great job. The contents were great. Organization was great. I love the links explaining the historical background of the book and what the objects were.

There are numerous ways to use wiki in the classroom. In inclusion, my students do alot of timelines. Taking notes is awful. My students could go here and print off notes, so that no writing is done. Making vocabulary lists would be soo easy. Some others are catch up on missed work, FAQ on current units, virtual library and study guides.

1 comment:

  1. I have mixed feelings about using technology. From what I've seen in French class, the students use it to avoid working. I ask them to check out a page, tell them that it's using vocabulary they've practiced in class, it will be easy to read, I'm right there to answer questions, etc. You know what? They open a tab to a translator, copy and paste, and just read in English. Lazy lazy lazy. This requires me to be more creative in requirements for assignments so that I'm avoiding those translators as much as possible or just having students copy and paste sentences from the articles. They have no sense of what they need to add as references and using quotes. I think these websites show that students can be creative, but they need a LOT of structure and teacher observation as they're setting them up to avoid cheating and/or not doing much thinking.

    ReplyDelete